AVS Financial Aid Information

Financial aid sources are available to defray the costs of tuition and textbooks. Since each of these awards is in the form of a grant, you will not have to repay any of the money upon graduation.

Local Agencies Providing Tuition
There are a number of local agencies that provide tuition assistance and/or other types of support while you are enrolled in school at the Adult Vocational Services. If you believe you would be eligible for service from the agencies below, you must contact them directly:

  • Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR)
  • Trade Readjustment Act (TRA)
  • Veterans Administration (VA)
  • Employment Resource Center
  • Department of Human Services
  • Senior Workers Action Program (SWAP)

Employment Resource Center
The Employment Resource Center has funding available through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

Who is eligible?
Unemployed individuals over the age of 16 who reside in Summit or Medina counties and meet the income guidelines established.

How to apply
Go to the One-Stop Job Center
Located at 1040 E. Tallmadge Ave., Akron, OH

How is eligibility determined?
The Employment Resource Center will need certain information to determine your eligibility. You can help by taking your Social Security card and other information about the source of your family's income--such as pay stubs, pension, Social Security, unemployment compensation, public assistance, alimony and child support.

What does a WIA grant cover?

  • Tuition for all full-time classes
  • Individualized support services
  • Weekly training allowance

Pell Grants
Pell grants are awards given by the federal government to help students pay for their education after high school.

Who is eligible
You may be eligible if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen who

  • is a full-time student
  • has financial need
  • has not completed a college degree
  • is not in default on any student loan or owes a refund on a Pell Grant
  • is maintaining satisfactory academic progress
  • has a high school diploma, a GED or can pass the Wonderlic Scholastic Achievement Test.

How to apply
Contact AVS Financial Aid Officer, at the Adult Vocational Services, 147 Park Street or CALL 330-761-1385.

How is eligibility determined?
Your Pell Grant will be awarded based on your financial need. Generally, your eligibility is determined on the basis of the previous year's income tax return. The number that appears on the top of your SAR will indicate to us the amount of grant for which you are eligible.


design + development by TRIAD